Professor Kamminga specializes in mediating high-profile civil litigation. He has successfully mediated and co-mediated dozens of high-stakes complex civil disputes referred by private parties and courts on a variety of matters, all with aggregate values of multi-million or billions of dollars. He works with numerous U.S. Fortune 500 companies, European multinationals, and government agencies, as well as mid-size U.S. and European-based companies.
Dr. Kamminga received his legal education at Ivy League law schools in the US (Harvard and Columbia) and at top-universities in Europe. He combines practical dispute resolution experience with in-depth legal knowledge of U.S. and European law.
Starting out as a mediator in Europe, Dr. Kamminga has advised a number of government agencies and private entities on optimizing and designing their contractual environment for large projects, designing procurement to facilitate cooperation with their counterparts, addressing complex claim questions, and designing systems tailored to resolving high-volume disputes efficiently. He designed codes of conduct, elaborate procurement strategies, and developed dispute management systems for government agencies such as the Dutch Ministries of Economics, Infrastructure and Justice, and worked with public and private parties in the insurance and construction industries.
Dr. Kamminga now works with The Weinstein Melnick Team on resolving complex class actions, insurance coverage cases, contract, securities and financial matters, and other high-stakes disputes. He brings extensive knowledge and broad international experience in U.S. and European contract, insurance and construction law, corporate and financial law and securities law. Private and public parties regularly seek his assistance on practical and conceptual issues related to contract law, negotiation and dispute resolution processes.
Experience and Qualifications
- As mediator for The Weinstein Melnick Team, he mediates and co-mediates complex civil cases nationwide, including securities class actions; shareholder derivatives claims; subprime litigation; and contract, insurance coverage and government contract disputes.
- Assists parties (private and public entities) in designing dispute resolution processes uniquely tailored to their needs in disputes involving complex issues.
- Designs dispute resolution systems for large billion-dollar infrastructure projects in the Netherlands and in the U.S.
- One of three authors and designers of claim-handling procedures for personal injury claims now used by 90% of personal injury insurers in the Netherlands.
- Co-authored the Dutch Dispute Resolution Board procedures and served as member of a dispute resolution board for one of the largest transportation infrastructure projects in Netherlands in the last 30 years.
- Engages in pro bono work as a court-appointed mediator at the Brooklyn, Manhattan, and New York Small Claims Courts.